Recently I turned my life on its head and left the comfort zone of home town, family and friends in Wellington (NZ), to start a new chapter in Western Australia. As I adjust to my new surroundings, I find myself thinking in the shape of stories and letters home. Feel free to take a seat and read on..

Monday, February 14, 2011

25 Nov 2010: Some things I've learnt so far..

Walking:  learn to pant with your mouth shut - then you only have to deal with the flies that go up your nose (carry at least 3 tissues for this)
Heat:  embrace the sweating as a cleansing process - expect to feel very cleansed
Richard can call millipedes Shongololos, and tell me they’re are a good omen: I won’t like them climbing the shower walls any better.


Good cockroach


Cockroaches:  the only good 
cockroach is a dead cockroach.







Having to go outside to the toilet at 2.00am: means you get to see shooting stars






Coffee:  there’s no such thing as a trim flat white here (although I am hoping to become one myself some day).  If you want a low fat coffee order a "skeeny" flat white - you’ll get a latte in a mug but near enough’s good enough..





The price of fish:  Oh. My. God.  Take out a mortgage or develop a taste for sardines and feel good about the omegas..
Get used to carrying cash again: many places here are cash only or have a $10.00 minimum eftpos policy

Godfrey - uninvited guest


Don't take rustling in the grass for granted: it may well not be a cat and when it bursts through the door it will be harder to get rid of than a cat!!

No comments:

Post a Comment