Recently I turned my life on its head and left the comfort zone of home town, family and friends in Wellington (NZ), to start a new chapter in Western Australia. As I adjust to my new surroundings, I find myself thinking in the shape of stories and letters home. Feel free to take a seat and read on..

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Hidden Treasure in My Back Yard

At first glance, my back yard is a dry and untamed wilderness..


Come to think of it, at the second 
and third glance it is too..



Let me show you some of its hidden treasures..


No-one planted these, they just grew.  And as far as I know they did 
it all on about a teaspoon of water




I tried picking some but they didn't like it inside.
So I go to them.
.


Are you my mother?



These were virtually invisible, hiding under a mass of leaves 
(and, by the way, delicious!)


Regular lookout spot for watching the world go by..


And keeping a sharp eye on the competition

Noisy neighbours prone to public displays of affection

Big, fat figs..

And big, fat fig eaters
(Look closer at the tree in the background)


Always somewhere to be when you're a skink


These open in the evening, flower gloriously overnight,
 and are gone again by mid-morning







Yet another triumph of nature thriving on a drop of rain and a lot of optimism


You've already met Godfrey



and my favourite treasure of all:



Talking engineer wearing provocative conversation starter
(thanks Cushla for the pinny proclaiming the pavlova as New Zealand's great dessert)

2 comments:

  1. aaawwww I like the last photo best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the shadow though looked like he had a comb over - I said to Ash that's not Richard Harriet has found a short Donald Trump in her garden - he said no that's Richard in shadow put your glasses on.

    ReplyDelete