Recently I turned my life on its head and left the comfort zone of home town, family and friends in Wellington (NZ), to start a new chapter in Western Australia. As I adjust to my new surroundings, I find myself thinking in the shape of stories and letters home. Feel free to take a seat and read on..

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Starting again..

Roughly two months ago I wrote an email to "everyone" to say I had decided to put my letters home into blog form, the idea being that I would create a communal place to read about what I was up to along with photos and whatever else; and leaving the personal communications as exactly that: personal.

Around about the time I would have been pressing "send", the Christchurch earthquake struck, and whatever was going on in my little world seemed completely irrelevant at that point. So I decided to leave it for a while.

In the meantime I have had a trip home and seen quite a few of the people this blog is aimed at; came back with a cold, a broken toe and a buggered arch; spent a little spell dangling my feet in a black hole; clambered out of that (I really ought to look more carefully where I'm going); and so on and so forth..

In other words, life went on.

While back in Wellington, I was talking to my sister about the triviality of a blog about me while all around us the world seemed to be going to hell in a hand basket; and rather than wittering on about me, me, me, I should just be counting my blessings and "getting on with it". She told me about a friend of hers who had expressed similar sentiments and then come to the conclusion (with a little help from
her friends) that this blogging lark is all about creating a community. It seems to me that one of the greatest things to come out of all these natural disasters is the wealth of stories that have demonstrated over and over the power of communities pulling together.

So back to me.

I intend to carry on with this blog. I have given up on the idea of "trying to get it up-to-date" as that will just be a very neat excuse to keep putting off re-engaging with it. It is about me and my life in WA land and I hope you enjoy it.

xx

3 comments:

  1. Excellent!! I was wondering when you were going to start up again. And I stand by what I said - it IS about creating community, and in these days when "individuality" is valued so highly, any way we can find to build community must be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blog and beautiful photos, Hattie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I concur with all said above. Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete